Regeneration News Update September 2016
What is this phase of the project for?
To make the church building windproof and watertight
What does that involve?
At this stage, there will be no alterations to the interior of the building. All work to be done is on the exterior of the building.
- Repairs to the sanctuary, apse and nave roof
- Repairs to the bell tower, door and weathervane
- Repairs to the windows
- Repairs to exterior walls
- Asbestos survey and removal
- Drainage and paving around the apse
- Moving soil from against the walls of the nave so that damp cannot penetrate through
What have we done?
We've got consent, support and/or funding from:
- Church of Scotland General Trustees
- St Andrews Local Presbytery
- Architects, Mechanical Engineers, Structural Engineers, Quantity Surveyor
- Specialists in stained glass, tomb conservations/restoration, trees (surveys completed for all the trees in the graveyard and for tomb conservation/restoration for any tombs or gravestones that might have to be moved)
- Historic Environment Scotland, Royal Commission on Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
- Heritage Lottery Fund
- Fife Pilgrims Way, Visit Scotland
- MP, MSP, local councillor (all offered their support and endorsements
- Fife Council
- Library service, Tourism, Social Enterprise, Archaeologist
- Others too numerous to list here!
We've raised £460,000!
We've been featured in the local press (several times).
We have new information leaflets and a short video on the history of the church/
We have prepared all the paperwork ready to launch a funding appeal.
Where are we now?
We have Listed Building Consent/Planning Permission from Fife Council. This completes our permissions to proceed. BUT it was granted with a list of conditions which require further clarification.
What are we waiting for?
We are still discussing the details with Fife Council:
- With the Planners: How wide the temporary trench for works must be around the nave and whether or not that necessitates moving any of the gravestones on the South side of the nave (meeting later this month)
- With Bereavement Services: How and where to deposit the earth that will be displaced and appropriate, respectful re-interment of any human remains (meeting later this month)
Final agreement with Fife Council
We are weather-dependent for external work, especially as specialist materials will be used. So we can't start the work until the beginning of the next warm season, i.e. Spring-Summer 2017.
We can't start work until ALL funding is in place. It is a condition of much of the funding that every penny is in place before any work commences.
What comes next?
Once we have final agreement from Fife Council on exactly how the works are to be undertaken, we will have a final cost for the project.
Once we have a final cost for the project, we will know exactly what our shortfall is and we will then be able to launch our appeal asking for donations and pledges.
We expect the total cost not to increase significantly but to remain around £550,000 but we are waiting for confirmation of the final figure.
Our HLF round 2 submission is due at the end of November 2016.
We are waiting to hear the outcome of several funding applications that were submitted earlier in the summer.
We are submitting more funding applications this month.
We are currently still on track for work to commence in Spring 2017.